Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Second, we went to Dallas on Christmas Eve and stayed through Christmas until Sunday. It was a great Christmas day. We got to play games (I love games!) on Christmas night and Christmas afternoon, I watched the Christmas Vacation movie with Chevy Chase for the very first time. It was a great day.
Then finally on Sunday, we drove to Vicksburg for our final stop to see Ben's grandparents Mimi and Pa. We got a wonderful Mimi breakfast, shopping time, and a roaring (and tense at times) game of Phase Ten. Also, no pictures because of the lost camera. We were truly blessed to get to see just about everyone. I missed my kitties while we were gone and I really wish I could get in their heads and know what they were thinking. Like did they think we just weren't coming back or did they forget us altogether?? Such a mystery. Anyways, its so refreshing to be back now in our own bed, our own couch, our own house. I've experienced hunger today for the first time it seems in at least a week and I am slowly trying to remind myself that every meal does not need to be followed by dessert.
Monday, December 7, 2009
As I finish this post, the cats have discovered the tree and Carlos was IN it and Polly was climbing up the center. Oh what have I done?!
Friday, November 27, 2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Ahhh Thanksgiving. It's finally here. It seems to have snuck up on me this year. All the sudden it was the beginning of November and then all the sudden it was Thanksgiving! I'm at home in Allen which means family time. I adore family time. I love the group times with all the laughter and people around and I treasure the one-on-one times whether planned or if it just happens. This morning, as I always try to plan for, I got to wake up slowly and sit and talk with my mom. Historically, this has been the time when I hang out with her. We talk and drink coffee. My brother Keith was doing a landscaping job at her house so he came in also and ate breakfast with us and I got to talk to him while my mom took Cody (the dog that's more like a small child) for a walk. Such a treat and all before 11am. I then ate lunch with my sister Anne and we went shopping at let's see...DSW, the Loft, Charming Charlies, and some cute stores on the McKinney square. For lunch, I had a small quiche, a small cup of fruit, and a nice helping of Chocolate Chip Pie. Can we say YUM?! It has been a precious day. Tonight, we are going to my sister's oasis of a house (its amazing!), to eat BBQ and play games with the whole family. I have to pack in months of family time in two days. This is how it must be done and I must say I love it.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I'm tremendously thankful to my God and King for how He has blessed me with his faithfulness, the people around me, and all His blessings. Now bring on the delicious food!
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Sunday, November 8, 2009
And these are my sweet kitties. Carlos is getting huge. He is just so long but he still has a little baby meow. Maybe he will mature later and have a deeper voice. On the other hand, Polly has seemed to stop growing and is a petite little kitty. Oh how I love them :).
Thursday, October 8, 2009
I have been sleeping in the guest bed so that I have as good a chance as possible to not get it. It's actually a really comfortable bed. Well a little too comfortable and too quiet I guess because this morning I woke up 2 HOURS late! Ahhh! I set my alarm but then forgot to touch the little button that turns it ON. I woke up unknowingly at 7:12 and remember thinking it was abnormally light. Not good.
On a side note, one of my sweet girls gave a speech in class and she used the word ya'll! My bilingual kids are growing up to be wonderful Texans. Pray that I don't wake up sick in the morning!
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
I gave Ben his gifts this morning (Guitar Hero 5 and a wireless controller) and tonight I grilled fish and asparagus and made cupcakes to take to Bible study. I hope he feels well celebrated.
On another note, the first two weeks of school have gone well. Finally my feet don't ache every night when I come home and I am gaining my energy back. I think its going to be a good year.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Lunch after church with friends, laughter
Errands with my sweet Ben
New pencils and erasers
Reading, kitties in my lap
Spaghetti, dinner together, leftovers for lunch
Making no bake cookies
In bed early
Kids come tomorrow!
Could it get any better?
Sunday, August 16, 2009
1. Time with teacher friends. I love my 3rd grade team, and its fun to spend time with people who know your field. You can make jokes like "There's no child left untested" and everyone gets it. (Someone said that at a workshop I went to).
2. My sweet kiddos. Some of my favorite conversations are the ones I have walking the track at recess with my kids. They are so easy to talk to and you can count on them to be completely honest.
3. Speaking Spanish. This year, my school is going to a 50/50 model of Spanish/English. I will be learning so many new words this year and getting to speak a lot of Spanish. Can't wait!
4. Routine. I'm one of those people who loves it. I am so much more productive and get more done when I have a routine to follow.
5. Working Hard. A month into school, I'll be wishing for a lot less of this, but during summer, its in short supply. Everyone needs a break, yes, but I'm about done with mine. I've relaxed enough and I'm ready to join the rest of the productive world.
6. Forced healthiness. I walk around my classroom and the school all day constantly and sometimes very fast - thus forced exercise. Also, I have a forced eating schedule. Breakfast, morning snack during specials, lunch, snack after school and dinner. During summer, eating is a possibility at any moment and sometimes its hard to say no.
I went back to school last Wednesday and the kids come back on the 24th. This week, we've got meetings, time to work in our classrooms, meet the teacher and time for planning. Should be a nice week!
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Amanda, me, Jennifer, and Ana (3rd and 2nd bilingual at my school)
I also go the treat of seeing Lindsey, my sweet friend and roommate from college. She came to visit her boyfriend and so she stayed at my house Thursday night. Ben played golf Friday morning so we got to wake up, drink coffee, and make breakfast just like old times. Such a gift from the Lord.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Saturday, we went to Fiesta Texas. I had not been to a theme park like that since early college or maybe even High School. In High School, I absolutely loved roller coasters. This time I did enjoy them, but, I have to admit, not as much as I did before. The jerkiness was not so exciting as much as it was a potential headache. But the one ride I will never get tired of is "The Scream" called the Superman ride in Arlington. It shoots you way up and then drops you down. The most fun ride. Ever. Below is me pretending to ride one of the rides. The picture was supposed to be more zoomed in so that it looked more real, but the photographer was notified of this request. So instead I just look silly.
Saturday night was another delicious dinner on the river walk. Sunday, we drove to San Marcos to go to the HUMONGOUS outlet mall. Oh my, I had forgotten how big it actually was. I have to say though, I did not make the shopping queens proud this weekend. I pooped out on the first third of shops and was ready to go. Ben probably would have kept shopping and actually bought a lot more than I did. I was hungry and it was way too crowded. So we drove down to Gruene, Texas which is along the Guadalupe River. We ate at the Gristmill - a gorgeous little restaurant on the river. We had a nice time together and came back very relaxed and refreshed.
Changing subjects, I went to the eye doctor today and I need glasses. I see it more as a new accessory (just one I actually need). They're really just for reading and such, but I'm kinda excited. Hopefully it will help with my headaches as well. I'll post a picture when I get them.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Wow, so that's been my July pretty much. Teachers go back to school August 12th so my summer's almost over. Sad to see it go, but once I'm back, I'll enjoy getting back to work and being with the kids. Today sometime, we go to San Antonio for the weekend for one last hurrah!
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
I love this lamp! Clearance at Home Goods. Great place.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
1. When I'm at home, I talk to my cats on and off all day like they are people. They don't respond but I think they understand.
2. I have a whole new love for rain. I always have loved storms but now it means one more things to me - a day I get to skip watering the lawn. I love you rain.
3. Although I have embraced my incredibly straight hair now and am learning to work with it, in high school, I had a perm every 6 months or so and even convinced a friend to do it. She ended up hating it and wearing her hair in a pony tail for the rest of the year. Poor thing.
4. I took copperplate Calligraphy (like you see on invitations) lessons this summer from a lady who has her own Calligraphy business. Actually her office door says Calligraphy and Haircuts. Maybe I'll start cutting hair too. So, if you want something calligraphied, let me know! I need the practice!
5. I have discovered recently that I love to bake. I love to make cookies, cake, or any other type of dessert. But, I am conflicted. See, I love to also eat what I bake but this could be bad for my midsection. So, I need to brainstorm more reasons to bake when I don't have to eat what I bake.
6. I genuinely love to watch golf. Ben was gone this past Sunday and I was really disappointed that we weren't going to sit and watch golf together. I haven't gotten to the point of watching by myself but anythings possible now!
7. I hate to waste things - time, food, clothes, money, craft paper, etc and get a pit in my stomach when I do. It just happens sometimes though and you can't help it. I'm learning.
8. I am trying to cut two things out of my diet - caffeine and fake sugar. You don't realize how much of something is in your diet until you try to cut it out.
9. I am starting the Twilight series (don't judge me!).
10. One of my favorite things to do this summer has been to go to Starbucks mid afternoon with a book and get sweet tea and an oatmeal cookies. Its just so wonderful.
Thanks for reading. I hope you learned something new about me!
Monday, June 29, 2009
New Iphones = hours of entertainment.` This is what the guys did while Pat and I watched 2 episodes of What Not to Wear. So great.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Thursday, I headed to Dallas to see family and Ben headed to Austin for a golf trip with his Dad. They played 4 rounds in 3 days! Intense. So I decided to take the time with Ben gone to visit my family in Allen. Thursday night, we had a Pulliam/Kalinke Father's Day dinner because all of us would be gone by Saturday. We went to my sister's house and Bob, my brother-in-law, made homemade pizzas in their outdoor pizza oven. Sausage, pineapple, and cheese pizzas. Oh. Wow. Yum. Then we swam although I never actually made it into the pool. Like I've said before, I love family parties and this one was a great one. Then I got to have a late night coffee date with my roommate Erin. It was so fun!
Friday morning gave some good talk time with my mom walking the dog up to donut shop and back. Then I ate a rare symblings only lunch with my brother Keith and my sister Anne in my brother's amazing back yard. It was great to talk to them both. That night, I got to have a date with my friend Jamie. Usually we just have time for a quick coffee, but this time, we had a whole night to hang out. A true girl night with eating, a chick flick, shopping, and lots of talking! Saturday, I got to spend some time with my grandmother and it was great to see her and love on her a little bit. I headed back out of town in the afternoon, but not before getting a Braums milkshake. Houston people, you are missing out. It was a great mini vacation! I was glad to see Ben on Saturday and our kitties did great with their first two nights home alone. I wish I could see where they slept and what they did all night while we were gone. We didn't think to leave any lights on so wherever they were, they were in the dark. Next week I have a training so the summer play time will go on hold...but just for a week.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Here are some things that filled my first week of summer...
1. Working out - my abs hurt.
2. Reading my Bible and praying.
3. Shopping with friends and alone (This activity CANNOT be as frequent in the coming weeks).
4. Cooking - I made two new recipes this week - tilapia fish tacos and lamb kabobs that Ben grilled. Delicious.
5. Painting the half bath in our house a brown color called Nutmeg. It's perty!
6. Taking more pictures of my adorable sweet kitties than you would want to look at.
7. Reading - see newly updated "Currently Reading" on the side bar.
8. Hanging out with my sweet husband while being relaxed and not exhausted or stressed from school.
Next week I've got a lot more random things planned like tutoring a future 4th grader and calligraphy lessons. Happy Saturday night!