Thursday, September 11, 2008

the huricane!

Everyone else was posting about Ike so I decided I should too. Yes, school is canceled tomorrow. An announcement like this is absolutely disastrous to all hope of productivity or concentration for 8 and 9 year olds. I waited to tell my kids until about 2:00 when we were about to take a test we usually take on Fridays. Some of them cheered, others got a little scared. Then the questions started. Trying to teach rounding to kids who are thinking about hurricanes was not desirable. Haha some of them got it though amazingly...but only after I danced and rapped to the "Rounding Rap". We were singing "Slip to the Side, and Look for a 5!" the rest of the day. Anyways, somehow I managed to hold off all questions until about 3:15 when we had a class "Hurricane Talk". They didn't seem to scared. Most of them were just excited for a 3-day weekend.

We're planning on just staying in our apartment all weekend...in the closet if necessary. Church is closed, the baseball game canceled, and we had to cancel a birthday party we planned for Ben. But we trust the Lord and are praying for safety.

2 comments:

Albus Adventures said...

We are staying in too. I know it must have been hard for the kids to concentrate, because I had trouble concentrating myself today!

meditations said...

Promise me you will teach me the dance and song for rounding!!!