Sunday, September 7, 2008

Car Rides

I love car rides. The not so long but not so short ones. Especially with Ben. We have some of the most random conversations about the widest of subjects on our car rides. They get into some interesting topics along with topics that we really need to have conversations about. For example today, we talked about finances but also how America (along with ourselves) focuses a lot on numbers and data, sometimes looking past other aspects of something. I love it.

Since both are families live in the Dallas area (Arlington and Allen), we are not strangers to the I-45 four (traffic turns it into more like five) hour trip back and forth. At least we get to make the trip together now! When we were dating and engaged, I lived in Allen, and Ben in Houston so one of us made the trip EVERY weekend. I can't believe we did it really. It was my first year of teaching and Ben's first year in a real job but somehow the Lord graciously gave us both strength, energy, and a non-complaining heart to be able to make the drive so often. Both of us look back and think "How did we do it??".

So anyways, our first year of marriage, living in the same city, the thought of that blessed drive was unbearable. So we took very few trips back and forth. This year, I think we'll make the drive a little more often. This weekend, was one of those trips. Ben's birthday is tomorrow...(birthday post to come!) and so we went to Arlington to visit his family and celebrate. They are such a precious sweet family. I leave feeling special, loved, and like a very important part of the family, just like I do with my own. The car ride was totally worth it and even a bit of a treat.

3 comments:

Amber Knowles said...

Hey Lynn! So great to see you tonight at church! Wish we could have caught up more:( Hope you guys are doing well!!

meditations said...

We enjoyed the weekend so much! Thanks for making the 4-5 hour trip. Love hearing about those car rides and great conversation.

Jana said...

love the new blog layout. happy bday ben!

Lynn, OMG I get the hiccups ALL the time too!!