Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Caleb's birth story part 2

When we got to the hospital, they put us in our room and immediately hooked me up to all the monitors...so weird...but comforting too because I could hear baby Caleb's heartbeat the whole time.  It was just nice to know he was doing ok.  I got all settled in my hospital gown that I ordered on Etsy (at least I felt a little cuter...) and Ben settled in on the couch that turns in to a bed.

 Hooked up and about to try to sleep

 Man that belly was big.

At midnight, they came in and gave me the first dose of the drug that was supposed to induce me slowly (cytotech).  I had read some scary things on the internet about this drug but we decided to trust God first and trust that He was leading our doctor and leading us.  Many things have side effects and we were not doctors so we prayed and went forward.  This drug had the potential to put me right into labor but most likely it would just help me become fully effaced and a bit more dilated.  That night, I didn't sleep for more than probably 15 minutes at a time.  I spent most of the night going back and forth between worrying, playing through different scenarios in my head and then bringing them to God and praying about them.  At one point I had to tell myself to just STOP...all of it...and rest.  It sorta worked.  They woke me up again at 4am to give me the second dose.  I had little contractions all night...it was working little by little.

Around 7am, the doctor came in and broke my water and then left, telling the nurse to give me pitocin at 7:30am.  I just said ok (not happy about the prospect of pitocin because it would make the contractions more painful) and then my awesome husband piped up and asked the nurse if we could just wait a little bit and see if I went into labor on my own, holding off on the pitocin.  She said ok and that we could just wait and see.

And then it began...

I went into full on labor on my own around 7:30am!  No pitocin needed!  (God is GOOD).

The contractions started off mild and at 8am, I was at 4cm, 100% effaced.  My parents, my sister, and Ben's parents were in town already and they came in for 30 second intervals between my contractions just to say good morning and that they were praying for me and would be in the waiting room.  Our doula, Sharon, was on our her way.  Ben helped me labor on the birthing ball and in other positions we had learned about in our birthing class.  He was so supportive and encouraging and helped me in any way I asked.  Nurses were in and out and any embarrassment or modesty I once had was GONE.  We were texting our Doula asking her what to do next as she was on her way.

And then it got real...

At 9:30am, our doula arrived and she began to work with me and help me get into positions that made the contractions much worse...which really means better because they help progress labor faster.  That's what she's good at!  In my head I knew that the more painful the contraction, the more progress I made so really more pain more gain and the quicker this thing would all be over and I'd have my baby Caleb in my arms!  She would ask me, does that make your contractions get more or less painful.  I would hate having to tell her that they were less painful because that meant I needed to change to a position that was more painful.  But again with the pain and gain.  They checked me and I had progressed to 7cm...transition was next.  The hardest yet quickest stage of labor.  I had my eyes closed for most of the labor but I do remember in the fog asking the doula, "This is the quickest stage right?!" and she smiled and said yes...and then there's pushing.

Around 10:30am, our Doula went out and told my parents that I was progressing quickly and that it could be pretty soon...maybe within the hour (and she was right!).

As labor progressed, I can remember in my fog the Doula calling the nurse and telling her my progress...many times.  By about 11am, I started to push (I'm completely making up that time because I have NO CLUE how long I actually pushed).  Things were progressing very quickly and at one point in the fog, I remember hearing the nurses panic and call the doctor over and over again to come quick!  My doctor finally came, the room got really bright, and there were a lot of people in the room.  But as I said before, all modesty was gone...I just wanted my baby boy OUT and IN my arms.

I'll spare the gory details (just ask if you'd like them...I'm not shy) but finally I pushed baby out and they put him directly into my arms.  It was one of the most amazing moments of my life to hold Caleb for the first time.  And as many people had told me, as soon as he was born, the pain was completely gone.  Amazing how God does that.  I held Caleb and sobbed while they fixed me up and Ben cut the cord (he watched it all - brave man).  At some point they took him to the other side of the room to clean him up, weigh him, etc and I got to watch while Ben took pics and sent them to family.






Our family stayed through Sunday (he was born on Friday).  It was so so nice to have them here.  They brought us most of our meals (hospital food was just ok) and just sat with us while we took care of baby Caleb and passed the time.  We came home Sunday afternoon and Ben stayed home with me the first week and then went back to work.  He's now a month old and we are figuring out so many things and God is growing our character by the minute.  We are so thankful and blessed beyond belief!




Our support crew minus my sister Anne


The Coopers, now 3, headed home



5 comments:

The Sages said...

Love this! I am sure you are enjoying your time with your precious baby boy!

Jamie S. said...

Loved reading your story! I can't believe baby Caleb is aleady a month old! Hope everyone is settling in.

Jana said...

Great story! I love how God brings each baby into the world in their own unique way. I am so impressed you did it without an epidural! WOW. Congrats! Babies are such miracles.

Holly said...

You're a great story teller! Sounds like you & Ben have this baby thing down! :) I need to come see ya'll & meet sweet Caleb!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful story! Can't wait to meet Caleb! :-)