Friday, February 12, 2010

Cooking Revamp

Ok ya'll...Ben and I are revamping our cooking during dinner. Partly to be healthy, partly to have fresher, better meals. So, the last 2 1/2 years, I've gone the casserole, canned stuff, tacos, etc route. It's pretty simple and there are some good recipes in there (I love myself a good casserole!) but we want more veggies and lean meats. I've never cooked like this and I need your help! I just want to find veggies to cook - just fresh veggies not with tons of sauce or salt but just good how they are with some seasoning veggies. Also, I need meats and yummy but healthy ways to cook them. So here's what I've got...

Veggies I know how to cook:
Potatoes - sweet and red, but the new potatoes I made were not very flavorful
Steamed broccoli
Green beans (I loved these and I never knew they could be so good!)

Meats -
Grilled chicken with grub rub
Grilled burgers
Salmon - honey and soy sause on top

That's all I've got so far. If you have any yummy veggies, veggie combos, or meats you have enjoyed, I'd love the ideas! Thanks!!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This is how Joey and I usually cook too. I've got a few things that I've started doing after much trial and error:

For the new potatoes try baking them with garlic. I'll send you the recipe, you just chop the heads of the garlic and bake em right along with the potatoes with a splash of white wine. So yum.

Veggies: cauliflower(cook same as broc), spaghetti squash, sauteed squash and zucchini, eggplant, corn on the cob

Meats: pork loin, tilapia with a light dusting of oat flour and tony's.

Stir fry might also be something to try. And I've got some pretty healthy soup recipes from pioneerwoman's blog.

Ok, now I'm just hungry. :)

Laura Moore said...

Great idea. :) Matt and I substitute lean ground turkey for ground beef, eat tilapia marinated with lemon juice and garlic salt about once a week.
And I get the Cooking Light magazine, which I love b/c it has great ideas and recipes! and makes me branch out from the same 5 meals I know how to cook...
Let me know how it goes!

Andrea said...

I agree with Laura - Cooking Light is FABULOUS! There is a chicken dish we had last week called Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers. It was FABULOUS and only 282 calories :) You can go to cookinglight.com and find that one. We also like a dish called chili-rubbed salmon (often substitute for a cheaper fish like tilapia or trout). You rub it with chili and a little salt and saute it in EVOO. Steam some brown rice. Steam some carrots and then sprinkle the carrots with a little melted butter and some dried parsley. Serve the fish on top of the rice and surround with carrots. Not only is it beautiful to look at :) but it's super tasty to eat!

I slice zucchini and squash a lot and season with Mrs. Dash vegetable seasoning. Then I saute them in a little EVOO. Also very tasty.

If you find some good recipes, please share!

Holly said...

Send me some of these recipes your collecting!

meditations said...

Lynn, I eat a ton of vegetables...always have a bunch of steamer packets of vegetables in the freezer...I especially love cauliflower with garlic. Everyone loves that one. Also, the one with water chesnuts, brocolli, etc.
You will be surprised how good sliced squash with a ton of black pepper and a tablespoon of water cooked in microwave will taste.
I love to buy Costco's giant bag of steamed vegetables. The one that has edamame in it. Stir fry this and add grilled chicken or rice on top.
Stir fry mushrooms(buy already sliced) with onions, and peppers. use Pam spray for no calories.

meditations said...

make yourself make one new thing once a week...no more, no less. Don't try to reinvent yourself overnight. You are the most wonderful wife my son could have found. If you can make him eat vegetables, you are a miracle worker!