Sunday, November 2, 2008

Family, Football, Food

What a nice weekend. Ben's parents, Mark and Pat, came down to visit us. They could not be more loving or supportive to both of us. Whenever they are around us, they shower us with compliments, encouragements, and tell us over and over how they think we are wonderful. They are such a blessing. They rolled in around lunch time on Saturday and took us out to lunch at Pot Belly's, one of my faves. Muy delicioso.

After lunch, we went out to watch the Blue Prints class flag football game which we WON! Two games back to back! Now, I say we, but I say that to feel cool. I don't play - I just chat on the sidelines with other wives who have opted not to play. Yes, I was warmly welcomed to play, even encouraged, as they need a certain number of girls, but my past football experience screams DON'T DO IT! You see, long ago in a Powder Puff Football game in college, the girls on the other team were rough and I couldn't handle the pressure and yes...I cried. I didn't want a repeat of this in front of all my friends and with my husband on the team. Can't you just imagine the scene - wife cries, husband wants to say "STOP CRYING! This is FOOTBALL!" but knows of the serious consequences later for saying this. So, needless to say, I decided happily not to play so that this situation was not even a possibility. But I will faithfully be there to cheer and support the whole time.

Then we proceeded on to more good fun and food with family. We went to Lupe Tortilla (or The Lupe Torillia factory as Pat calls it with the ll pronounced incorrectly) and had their amazing fajitas. Ben told the waiter that it was my birthday and that we were out to celebrate it, so at the end of the meal, they brought out a huge sombrero that I wore as they sang to me in Spanish. White girl who speaks Spanish (that's me) didn't catch all the lyrics but one part did say "We come to you Drunk, and its our pleasure to wish you happy birthday". We laughed at this. With the sombrero came some delicious Flan. Again, muy delicioso.


This morning, Ben taught in Sunday School and did an excellent Job. He talked about the historical background of the Bible. Let me know if you want some more info on that. It was all about the validity of the New Testament as a historical document. As silly as it sounds, I sometimes forget that real people from history wrote the Bible. They lived in a different culture and time and that influenced their writing. It was a really interesting lesson.


Pat and Mark left after church and they made our weekend so special. We loved having you here guys!

1 comment:

meditations said...

Good times, good times!!!!