Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Funny quotes

Teaching bilingual kids can be pretty funny sometimes. Words come out that mean nothing to them, but are pretty funny to me. I'm sure I do the same in Spanish sometimes and people laugh when I'm not looking. Some examples...

Today we started talking about Synonyms. Tough word in English I guess. So one of my kids kept saying cinnamon. "Ooo! Ooo! I know a cinnamon for sad!" So funny. I let it go once, hoping he'd catch on as we all kept saying synonym, but no, he definitely kept saying cinnamon. Then the other kids started copying him...not me...all talking about the cinnamons for sad that they could think of. Quickly, I corrected them and we chanted Synonym together many times during the lesson and again throughout the day.

Next funny story...So this week in science, we are learning about Simple Machines, like inclined plane, screw, wheel and axle, etc. I didn't really know what they were until I taught them last year. Did anyone else never learn them? They were new to me. Anyways, one of them is a wedge. Well, in Spanish, you don't have a silent e. I asked the class, what is the simple machine that is like an inclined plane but moves? One of my sweet little girls cries out WEDGIE! Not many of the other students caught it, probably also thinking in their heads wedgie, but I again, quickly corrected them as I chuckled. No, no, wedge, not wedgie. Haha...just some funny moments from my sweet kids learning English :). I love them!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

So funny! Your kids sound so cute!
I may have shared this story with you already... my favorite student quote was when one of my 4th grade boys came into my classroom with a hoarse voice and proclaimed, "Mrs. Traylor, my mom says I have the puberty." Like it was a sickness and I needed to stay away! hehe :)

Anonymous said...

haha I love it! You always have the best stories!! and the comment below is way too funny! haha. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I ment the one above... (from caroline)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!