Friday, August 8, 2008

Questions I have

Hello all. I need you. Now, I know a wealth of knowledge is available to me out there. On the Internet and in books and magazines, but the knowledge most valuable to me is what YOU have! I value personal experience over any book or magazine or review or article. So, that leads me to my question...

So, I've been cooking for a year now. My husband is patient and content and hungry. He's content to eat most anything I set in front of him to satisfy his hunger...whether it be the best meal ever or just ok. Usually, if a meal isn't good that I've cooked, I'm the one to speak up and say, "Man I don't wanna keep eating - this is just gross." If I didn't say anything, he'd prolly just kept eating. Sweet thang. Well, anyways, I want to beef up my cooking (heehee get it?!). I usually stick to chicken because its the easiest. It stays frozen in the freezer until I need it and I can always cook it without thawing it or making any preparations ahead of time. It goes with veggies, pasta, soup, and more probably. I occasionally throw in a ground beef dish - usually no more exciting than spaghetti or tacos. Fish and pork are few and far between and I need more of them. Now, I'm not saying I think I'm a bad cook, I just need some new life into my cooking. I've gotten bored with it and have stopped trying new things as much. So, I need to branch out and I need some inspiration...

That's where you and your valuable personal experience come in! I find things in magazines or books or online and try them sometimes but it's such a shot in the dark. Sometimes good, sometimes tasteless. Also, it just kills me to buy all those random ingredients, spend more time than normal cooking and then it turn out bad...so I just don't try it. I want to cook new styles of food (more than chx and veggies stir fry) and different meats. So, any advice you have? Any good recipes? Any good tried and true cook books or sites or secret ingredients you always use? Now, any and all of you that have helped me with cooking thus far, THANK YOU! Your advice has been invaluable and has gotten me to where I am today. I just need more! Thank you in advance. :)
One more quick question. Why does my feed of people's blogs sometimes show a list of names and sometimes shows the feed with their last post and its title? It's been acting up and only appearing occasionally. I can't figure it out. Thanks!

6 comments:

APage said...

haha-your blog question is one that I have as well! Can't wait to see if someone knows the answer, I have NO idea.

Regarding cooking, I love to stock up on ingredients that are very versatile and don't require a ton of planning...I always stay stocked with frozen chicken, broccoli, sweet peas, edamame, corn, and okra; canned tomatoes, beans and milk and noodles, numerous varieties.

I LOVE (maybe to a fault) chili, because I can cook it in the crock pot during the day and I have leftovers for a couple extra meals. I've been making a really simple chicken quesadilla recipe (that's on my blog under the tab RECIPES) and I like to make a Chicken and Broccoli Casserole. If you want the recipes I'd love to give them to you.

I'm so proud of you and I know Ben is SO thankful for your cooking! What a wonderful wife!

Albus Adventures said...

Okay, so it is hillarious that I am giving "advice" on "cooking" because I am no chef. Therefore, I have begun using this place called Super Suppers. I think I might have told you about it. The meals are freshly prepared in the store and frozen, but have no preservatives. Jeff loves them and so do I and all the prep work is already done. They are reasonably priced a portioned out so that you don't have crazy amounts of left overs. We buy the half portions and we can eat it once and then one of us can take leftovers for lunch the next day. Here's their website: http://www.supersuppers.com/menu/locate_store.php?popup=true. Also, I hear cookinglight.com is good and I have tried Kraftfoods.com. They will email you recipes too. Happy cooking!

Jana said...

Hey Lynn- I just sent you 3 non-chicken recipes. I am a new cook, so I don't have a large recipe resume yet, but I too love getting recipes! I tend to cook chicken more than anything else, so I like it when I find other dishes to mix up the variety. enjoy!

Caroline said...

Ben sounds just like Jake! I do agree with your friend that Super Suppers is AMAZING. I definitely depended on them while I was teaching. But they closed down their Pearland location, so now I am on my own! I guess I have no advice, because your questions are my questions and I've been attempteing to cook for 3 years! I do have to say it gets easier. Maybe we should take a cooking class together sometime...
Speaking of dinner, we still want to have you guys over sometime! If you're brave enough to eat my cooking again! :) (don't worry- we have Papa Johns on speed-dial.) How about Wed or Thurs night?

The Goods said...

Hi Lynn..I know you through blog-land..or rather Amy L's blog :)

I have alot of recipes I could give you. One of my favorite is Shrimp Orzo..it is spicy and really good! We like food with a lil kick.

I have the same issue with my blog..but thought it was only me!

-@na Good

Jen Lewis said...

I don't really cook very often but this week I have been staying with Tiffany who has cooked some AMAZING meals! She got most of the recipes from Cooking Light. It is a magazine but annualy they put out a book and hers is the book. I have loved everything! I know it isn't specific recipes but it is what I got. ;)