Thursday, July 10, 2008

Houston Project

This week, Ben and I got to be a part of Houston Project put on by our church First Baptist. It was a week of VBS at night for kids, teens, and adults in areas all around Houston. It was amazing and I can't wait to do it next year. There's just so many ways to serve and give and use your gifts. Ben led the very organized and smiling registration team, the first people the kids see when they come in. He and his team got them all recorded, name-tagged, and greeted and then they were sent off to have snow-cones and dinner (in that order I believe). We really saw the Lord work.

I was on the evangelism team. We walked door to door just sharing the gospel with people in the neighborhood. Some people shut the door on us, others listened politely and declined, while others genuinly listened with interest. I had the amazing privilege of seeing many people make decisions to pray to receive Christ! I met new sisters and brothers in Christ! I was encouraged and amazed at how God went before us. Some were obviously ready to hear and respond, but others were not. Praise God for His amazing power to work in and change the hearts of people when we surely cannot.

I was blown away by the number of people who thought they were just not good enough to get into heaven or the opposite, people who thought they had done enough good to merrit getting into Heaven. Truth is, neither matter - how much bad you've done or how much good you've done! The Bible says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Then it goes on to say "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." We're all sinful but by believing in Jesus and His death and resurection for our sins, we are saved from that punishment and may go to heaven with Jesus. All of us are not good enough for Heaven but we have Jesus. I am deeply greatful for this gift.

I learned this week that I assume way too much that people know the truth. I assume way too much that people are believing the truth and applying it to their lives. I am challenged to be more open and less assuming with the people around me. I want them to know the truth!

2 comments:

meditations said...

Lynn, I love you and love your heart. Thank for for sharing this story.

Albus Adventures said...

We have a blog too! Let's be blog friends! YAY!