Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Freezer Burn Delight


What more could you want than a year old peice of cake. Last night we ate the top tier of our wedding cake. Did anyone else do this on your anniversary? Ben was doubtful of the condition this cake would be in and if it would be a unwise health choice to eat it. On the other hand, I, being very sentimental, was very excited and couldn't wait to open the box that has sat in our freezer since last July. As we opened it, a very distinct freezer burn scent filled the ktichen. I had not thought to thaw it out before hand so we defrosted it in the microwave and soon began to smell vanilla cake. Mmmm Cake! But not just any cake, our wedding cake. Sigh.

Despite so many warnings against eating a year old cake, we cut two slices. I braved the first bite, and Ben cautiously took the next bite. Sad to say, it was not as tasty as it was on our wedding day (shocking!). It was still a bit frozen and had a funny taste. I had a few bites, resulting in a not so good feeling in my stomach. As much as I wanted to keep it and savor it, it just was grose so we thew it out. So for all of you wondering what this magical event will hold, go for it but know, it still is a year old cake. Enjoy! :)

5 comments:

Albus Adventures said...

We did it too and I blogged about it just like you! Ours wasn't too bad, but our cake lady showed us how to wrap it up so it didn't get freezer burn. Way to try it anyway!

APage said...

I love your account! and I'm with you-It's all about the memories:)

Liz said...

Ahh, that's a bummer! That's still a fun memory to have, though! I have no idea how ours is wrapped; it's been sitting in my Grandma's freezer because we knew we'd be moving and wouldn't have a decent fridge for a while! :) I guess it will be time to get it back soon!

Semper Wifey said...

Happy anniversary!!! We actually enjoyed our wedding cake. My mom had wrapped it up in several layers of plastic and foil. She had it in her freezer until April, when I took it back to Florida with me on the plane after a weekend visit for a wedding. I got some funny looks in the security line!

Lee said...

Ashley and I quite enjoyed our cake. It took us a week to polish it off.