Friday, June 17, 2011

Glazing Attempt #1

So I have been reading for a long time on craft blogs about glazing painted wood furniture or decoratives and I really wanted to try it.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  It's not perfect (when is it ever?!), but it does add some color and some shabby-chic-ness to my house I think.  I used tutorials from The Speckled Dog and All Things Thrifty and there's even a video tutorial at All Things Thrifty which I found very helpful.  Here's my process and attempt at glazing some wood picture frames. 

These are the products I bought at Home Depot - Aqua Spray Paint, Kilz Primer, Faux Glaze, and Black paint 

1. I took all the glass and backing out of these wood picture frames that I got for $1 or less each at KCM resale.  (That is my new favorite resale shop.  It's cheaper than Goodwill and has so much more!!) Sorry, its just a local place though.

2. I sprayed each with Kilz Primer and let dry. 

3. I sprayed each with the Aqua spray paint and let dry.  (I can't get this photo to flip!)

4. Now the fun part: glazing!  Go to those websites above for very detailed instructions.  First I mixed the glaze (its looks white like glue, don't be alarmed at this as I was!) with the pint of black paint, although it could have used a little more black paint I think.  I painted on the glaze with a foam brush and then almost immediately rubbed it off with a damp cloth.  The black glaze is then just left in all the crevices and cracks of the frame (this pic is before I wiped it off)

5. And Ta-da!  I took some pictures I've had up for a while and put them in my new aqua frames.  You could also do some hand distressing of the frames with some sand paper if that suits your fancy.  

Here's a close up.  Oh my sweet bridesmaids!  And now I've put these frames in various places around the house to brighten things up a little.  So fun!

The book shelf in the living room

My entry-way table

Up next: Painting and glazing two wooden chairs!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Those are super cute and turned out really nice! What a fun project and you are right, it really adds some color and a special touch! Nice job!

Jamie B

Cherish_This said...

I love these!! I really need to incorporate some photoframes on my walls. Woot! Im in one of those frames!!