Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Rose Mystery

I have to say that I just love Knock Out Roses.  They are incredibly low maintenance (which is the only kind of plant I can sustain) and gorgeous.  Their first bloom of the season was fabulous.  I was worried that they had died in one of our "winter storms" that wasn't, but they survived the harsh winter and began to bloom about a month ago.  Last spring, I planted these two modest size, maybe 1 1/2 feet tall, Knock Out Roses in my front flower bed right under the front windows.  Our garden was just sad and needed a major pick-me-up.  Now, one of them is GT and has probably tripled in size.  The other, well, I'm not sure what happened with it.  It has maybe grown a few inches up and out.  They are about 4 feet apart and I am at a loss as to the major difference in growth.

 Rose Bush #1 - Closest to the door and you'll notice it has now grown taller than the window


Rose Bush #2 - 4 feet to the right and you'll notice is not even close to reaching the window

I will keep trying though.  Today I fertilized the grass, pulled weeds AND I have watered my dried out lawn every night this week!  Wow, who am I?!  It was actually quite relaxing and satisfying.  If you can solve the Knock Out Rose mystery, please do tell.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love your new blog design! So pretty! I too have differing heights of knockout roses. One of my thoughts is that one gets more water than the other--maybe the bigger one's roots are nearer to a water source like the hose or something. I don't know what their deal is but I love how low maintenance they are too! I need to put something on my beds to prevent weeds but not kill the plants--any suggestions?

Jenny said...

I'm 1:2 on knockout roses, but they are pretty low maintenance!