Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rodeo Run 10K Training

3 weeks ago, I started training for a the 10K Rodeo Run on February 26th.  Last year, I did the Rodeo Run 5K at the end of February and ran the whole thing even though I had never run more than 1.5 miles.  So this year, I decided to go for it and try to train for the 10K.  The Rodeo Run is a 10K and 5K race that benefits the rodeo.  And its just fun to be a part of.  I remember saying at the end of it last year, "Next year, let's do the 10K!" and then we all laughed!  But alas, here I am.   

One thing that really helps is that Ben is training and signed up to run it with me.  He is a great runner and encourager.  It was a little scary actually signing up and paying and not just saying I was going to do it because then I actually have to go out there and go the 10K distance whether I'm ready or not!  I looked for several different training programs and found this really good one for a 10 week training program.  It started me out very slow and easy - the first day I only had to run/walk 15 minutes.  Then it just pushes you a little bit each week and every Saturday you do your longest run of the week.  Today was my first run that it didn't allow me to walk at all and it was tough but I did it and ran 30 minutes straight. 

Now I'm sharing this with you to tell you that there is a 7-week program on the same site that you could start THIS MONDAY!  If you can already run about 2 miles, and it doesn't have to be a comfortably run 2 miles - I'm still pushing myself to get to 2 miles - but if you can do it, you could start with me right now and do the last 7 weeks.  Let me know if you're doing it and we can encourage each other.  

These are my new running shoes I got for Christmas so that I could feel like a "Real Runner" :).  Accessories and new clothes always help motivate me!

Main image for GT-2160™

1 comment:

The Sages said...

And you have a blog too! I'll have to follow!! And you can do the 10k! Just follow the plan and you'll be ready : )