Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer Project #1

One of my favorite things about summer (among many) is having the extra time to do some creative projects. Last year, I learned how to write in Calligraphy and have enjoyed that skill throughout the year. Well, a couple days ago, I started this year's first big summer project.

To give you some background...I've been looking for some things for my house to give it a little more style and character. We got our new furniture in, and I love it, so that has been fun, but I wanted some decorative items. I've been looking around on Craig's List for anything "Shabby Chic", "Distressed", or "Vintage" because I like the way that style looks. Now, I've realized that my house is not Shabby Chic style; although I love the look, my house does not fit that. But I do like the distressed look. I found a few pieces on Craig's List, one really cool couple in particular that own a company called Altard, but they were still in the couple hundred dollar range and I was looking for cheap.
Then I stumbled on a $35 small, solid wood dresser. And I thought...Hey, this might be crazy, but I bet I can make my own distressed dresser. So now, the dresser is in my garage waiting to be worked on. I've already sanded down all the stained surfaces and have put on the primer color and I'm just waiting for it to dry. We'll see how this turns out....

BEFORE

1 comment:

Jamie B said...

I love the style of that dresser. If anyone can make it look wonderful it is you :)
Hope you have fun with your project and it turns out how you want it to.